Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My first day as an intern...

I am so close to work that I can walk! It is great! Ok, so I'm supposed to arrive at 10, but I get there a little early on my first day around 9:45. I start knocking on the door but no one seems to answer. I was worried that this was the wrong place. Finally the designer, Sergio, comes to the door. I believe I woke him up. Little did I know the design studio doubled as his apartment!! Well I was instructed not to get there before 10 again~ha! Mr. Sergio does not work before then.
So my first task was to go get fabric. He asked me if I knew my way around the garment district and I was like um.... not really. He gave me the address and.... God was watching me.... I found the fabric place without a hitch. It was such a "Devil wears Prada" moment.
Then.. I got to know Sergio better and he is realy nice. He is so helpful and I have already learned so much!
Right now we are making a rather ugly dress. It is for a mother-of-the-bride for a Jewish wedding. It is a hideous long-sleeved high collared number, but Sergio is making it look as good as it can be. Those jews have some wierd fashion restrictions... I got to sew on the beads which was cool, however, I was so nervous that I could not get the needle threaded. Then I had to press and pre-shrink 30 yards of fabric for the one dress which took a few hours. We went out for lunch at a Thai food place called "Yum Yum." And it was.
And I survived my first day as a new girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The fun is just beginning! I have a friend who is in the fashion business in NY. HEr email is annabelleny@hotmail.com Tell her that your aunt knows her aunt,Linda Bechum, and that you would like to meet her. Give her your blog address!! Meanwhile, I'll keep track of your exciting adventure that most of us just dream about!
LUV Aunt K